[Coral-List] Sargassum Season and Dust

tomascik at novuscom.net tomascik at novuscom.net
Wed Jul 17 16:07:27 UTC 2019

Sargassum may be the Canary in the coal mine signaling a possible regime
shift in the Atlantic equatorial upwelling system, as well as the
upwelling system off the west coast of Africa.

 The following  quote from the Abstract should concern everyone:

 "The bloom of 2011 might be a result of Amazon River discharge in
 previous years, but recent increases and interannual variability after
 2011 appear to be driven by upwelling off West Africa during boreal
 winter and by Amazon River discharge during spring and summer,
 indicating a possible regime shift and raising the possibility that
 recurrent blooms in the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean Sea may become
 the new norm."

 Tom