[Coral-List] Sargassum Season and Dust

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jul 17 18:50:59 UTC 2019

   Ulf, when you are in a hole, stop digging.
   We all have bad ideas. I have had far more than my share. It's never a
   good policy, however, to defend a bad idea just because someone else
   pointed out that it was one.
   No one would deny illegal mining was a problem*: it was you who
   suggested it might account for Caribbean reef decline. That sort of
   thing just makes my stomach hurt. This will invite another round of
   "it's not us, it's illegal mining." This will just muddy the waters.
   You have responded to me without bothering to check any of the extant
   HM records from the Caribbean. I suggest you do so. Talk to the people
   who know this field. Read my paper on the record of the Orinoco. Do
   some mass-balance work.
   * I regret I cannot say more at this juncture, but: yeah, illegal
   mining shows up nicely-where it occurs.
   Mike