[Coral-List] cooperation and the tragedy of the commons

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Thu Jul 18 13:54:31 UTC 2019

Dear Etsan and Doug:

I disagree with your analysis and it's premises. If the tragedy of the commons was not actually happening (for millenia now, not a modern phenomenon), the Earth would not be in the state of degradation and overuse as is all around us, anthropogenically driven climate change would not be happening, and so many, many, many animals and plants would not have gone extinct or be endangered due to human activities.

Regulations and private property have been invented by human societies to try to curb the human instinct to "take it while it's still there for me to grab FIRST", but for many reasons, including the pressures of overpopulation, necessity and innate human greed, they aren't working. The evidence that they aren't working is shown by all the threads of environmental degradation just in this list serve alone.  The several small examples of where some environmental protection has worked are overwhelmed by the many more where they haven't worked because of "the tragedy of the commons".

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
Website:  www.cisme-instruments.com

Videos:  CISME Promotional Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s
CISME Short version Demo Video 3:00 min  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4SqS7yC08