[Coral-List] tragedy of the commons

Martin Moe martin_moe at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 15:50:09 UTC 2019

 “TheTragedy of the Commons” is a real human based phenomena. But like everythingelse in the world of humanity, increase in production does not always result indestruction of a resource that is exploited by human need. Humans are notstupid, (although population growth to excess in small and large areas is asignificant exception), however, they (we) in every family, tribe, city,nation, and religion, are acutely aware of the necessity of owning territoryand resources for survival; and the threat, both violent and just acquisitive,posed by “the others” for these same resources. The competitive conditionspresented by a destructive “freedom of the commons” situation does not include circumstanceswhere the commons are not “free” because unregulated cooperation between exploitersexists and delicately stable, even long term, written or unwritten agreementspreserve the resource. However these stable situations are easily disturbed by developmentof new technologies, by population growth, and by new entries into theexploitation of the resource. The all too human response to loss or fear oflose of a resource, or even to increase personal wealth, is to increaseexploitation, or even to war against other exploiters, especially those new tothe resource, with economics, legal action, sabotage, violence, and even war.Many natural resources in our modern world do not have boundaries that aremarked by distinguishable geographic structures or lines on a map; extractive resourcessuch as oceanic life, oil deposits, large forests, rivers, coral reefs, andgradual degradation by continuous injection of pollutants into common environments,are not the protectable property of specific human populations. They are “TheCommons” and must be protected by cooperation between nations, which requires alevel of understanding and cooperation akin to the kind of cooperation between smallhuman populations to preserve a common resource. There are real and honestefforts now in place to thwart the “inevitable” results of exploitation ofunprotected world wide commons of   natural resources and physical territory. Giventhe relatively recent and ongoing increase in world populations, which must be curbedat some point, and the increasing exploitation of natural resources, what arethe chances that the “Tragedy of the Commons” will not at sometime in the notto distant future, come to the inevitable end feared by  Garret Hardin a half century ago?

Martin Moe