[Coral-List] Mixed Messages

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Wed Jul 31 17:48:49 UTC 2019

I think that we may be falling into the trap of narrowly defining impacts
and solutions within our particular area of specialty. As a physical
scientist, I often find myself forgetting that both problems and solutions
are affected by the social structure within which they occur and are
addressed.

It has been convincingly argued that, until we solve the global factors
(mainly climate change), reefs will be cooked regardless of local actions,
Conversely, there is evidence that local actions can make reefs more
resistant/resilient (re: Steve's post) and at least delay climate-related
demise. To simple answer is "both". Those who have been around a little
longer will remember arguments about the primacy of "top-down" vs
"bottom-up affects". How things change!.... we didn't even have a nice term
for climate impacts  at the start of this argument, so someone invented
"side-in", whatever that meant - gotta have labels.

But, back to my opening point, we should not forget that people who live
near reefs have different perspectives and needs than those of us opining
from afar. We should not forget the importance of creating opportunities
for local residents to have a meaningful role in finding and implementing
solutions that work for them outside the vacuum of first-world management
concepts. The negative effects of heating are growing and need to be
addressed. However, buy-in at the local level is critical. And, every time
I feel that my training makes me better equipped to understand the
situation (and therefore to frame solutions), I read a poem by a resident
of Tuvalu:

"This is our home.
There are no robberies, no guns.
We sleep with the doors open.
My back yard is being eaten by the sea."

They do get it.

Dennis

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 10:21 AM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <