[Coral-List] carbon offsetting AND slowing down

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 9 15:13:17 UTC 2019

Dear Gene,

I just wanted to explain that my recent post challenging you to clarify your position on climate change in this forum was not intended as a personal (and/or public) affront. I am well aware of the fact that many eminent marine scientists engaged here think highly of you (as do I) and that that assessment is not contingent upon whether or not we are in agreement on every issue.  Beyond that, we have no choice but to acknowledge that there is still a significant (global) divide related to how climate change is viewed and here, specifically, to its impacts on coral reefs. The current U.S. administration is on record (as recently as this past week) as being unconvinced that the current climate regime is anthropogenic in nature and an imminent and existential threat to the planet. Their policy positions on a number of fronts reflects their continued intransigence on this issue. So it seems we are left firmly entrenched in yet another polarizing divide. Simply put, if we are ever going to have a chance to change this paradigm (as I see it, at least in part to the benefit of the world’s remaining coral reefs) we must find a way to candidly converse with one another in a free flowing exchange of ideas. Meanwhile, I continue to be puzzled by any form of logic that concludes that rising atmospheric CO2 is not highly problematic. Asking you, a man of science, to clarify your position was my way of (hopefully) gaining access to some applicable insights that might lead to broader understanding, not a veiled attempt to harass or embarrass you.

Sincere regards,
Steve Mussman

Sent from my iPad