[Coral-List] carbon offsetting AND slowing down

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 20:31:21 UTC 2019

      An additional problem with the report that ocean surface temperatures
have not risen in one spot in PNG is spatial, this is one tiny point on a
vastly larger globe.  This is why we call it "global warming" not "one tiny
point in PNG warming."  It's the same kind of thing as claiming that
because it is cold today where I live, there can't be global warming.
There is always great variation in weather, from one spot to another and
one time to another, and that's different from global warming and climate
change which is the average of the whole world changing over decades.  But
that's been a favorite argument by the deniers, it clearly has worked to
mislead many people.  Whatever works, propaganda, lies, etc.
      And thank you Mike, for that point about the massive funding by the
fossil fuel industry of the denier industry.  Of course, US$200 million is
pocket change for those companies, they get $20 billion of subsidies from
the US alone, which in turn is much less than their annual profits.  In
effect, the US taxpayers are funding the deniers, and given the tiny crumbs
of funding that coral reef conservation gets, that probably means the
deniers are funded about 100 TIMES as much as coral reef conservation.
David and Goliath indeed.  There certainly were loads of death threats to
climate scientists at one point.  Certainly the point of it is to
intimidate the climate scientists into shutting up.  No wonder we can't
solve any problems.
      Cheers, Doug

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:07 AM Karl Fellenius via Coral-List <

> Thank you Mike, for the clarification that there is no position on
> anonymity. Less rules are better in the context of free speech, which I
> don't refer to narrowly as only first amendment rights in recognition that
> there are many non-US members on this list. Though I echo that while
> anonymity might allow for expression of views on coral list that are
> currently being suppressed in other forums, the workplace, and society at
> large, it also undermines the one feature of coral list that is
> less-commonly found on other science-based lists - namely that views
> are to be referenced if at all possible, and especially if data is being
> used as evidence.
>
> Might I then suggest a compromise, that coral list allow anonymity but only
> if the views expressed are referenced in the same manner as signed posts?
> In
> this way, the post by Gene would only have been allowed if Gene had gone
> back to the anonymous writer and asked for supportive references before
> submitting the post to coral list. This way, the onus falls back on
> subscribers to ensure that their anonymous forwards are not frivolous.
>
> Can coral list agree on this?
>
> To the claimed point on that CO2 rise lags temp rise, I'd love to see that
> firmly and finally debunked or explained (beyond what already exists on
> websites such as climate skeptic, etc.) so that it doesn't keep cropping
> up - anonymously or not. The other claimed point about no upward trend in
> 10
> year SST data for PNG has no place in climate discussions, since the
> timeline of this 'noise' is too short. Presumably coral list subscribers
> could easily counter and reference such a claim with longer SST timelines
> elsewhere. But why bother, when the original claim was posted without
> references? This is my point, that we should strive to maintain a higher
> standard that what we see in the world 'outside the list.'
>
> Karl
>
> ======================
> B. Karl Fellenius, MRM
> Director
>
> B. K. Fellenius Consultants Inc.
> E-mail: Karl at Fellenius.net
> Skype: michka97
>
> Tel: +692.455-5552
> PO Box 3085
> Majuro 96960
> Republic of the Marshall Islands
>
> Tel: +1.778-426-0775
> Mob: +1.778-871-5957
> 2475 Rothesay Ave.
> Sidney, British Columbia
> V8L 2B9 Canada

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

A call to climate action  (Science editorial)
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6443/807?utm_campaign=toc_sci-mag_2019-05-30&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2840296

New book "The Uninhabitable Earth"  First sentence: "It is much, much worse
than you think."
Read first (short) chapter open access:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/read-a-chapter-from-the-uninhabitable-earth-a-dire-warning-on-climate-change

Want a Green New Deal?  Here's a better one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/want-a-green-new-deal-heres-a-better-one/2019/02/24/2d7e491c-36d2-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.a3fc8337cbf8