[Coral-List] Anonymous postings and temp changes

tomascik at novuscom.net tomascik at novuscom.net
Tue Jun 18 20:08:39 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I agree with Charles that we actually have an obligation to figure out
why some coral reef sites around the world behave differently from the
global trend if we are going to help the reefs. I am actually not
surprised at all to hear that one particular site in PNG is bucking
the SSTs rising global trend. What I would love to know is WHERE is
this site that is reportedly bucking the upward SST trend located. Is
it somewhere in the Bismarck Sea, is it along the north-west coast
between Wewak and Jayapura (Indonesia), or was it the Solomon Sea or
Coral Sea?

I suspect that that site is located in one of the upwelling areas of
PNG. Coastal upwelling along the Papua New Guinea (PNG) coast and its
effect on the SSTs during the upwelling season is well documented, for
example see

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2010JPO4421.1

Upwelling will have moderating effects on local SST profiles, and
therefore, it is no much of a stretch of imagination to suggest that
areas that are affected by strong seasonal upwelling may not
experience a noticeable rise in SSTs over the years. Many vibrant
coral reefs in Indonesia are in fact located in well-known areas of
strong seasonal upwelling (e.g., Banda Sea, Flores Sea and Arafura
Sea). During my work in Indonesia I was fortunate enough to actually
directly observe upwelling evens over coral reefs and have documented
them in “The Ecology of Indonesian Sea”. Here is a link to some of the
upwelling information in Indonesia (apologies for this self-promotion):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301883301_Chapter_Ten_Environmental_Factors

The traditional wind-induced large-scale upwelling that affects large
regions like the Banda Sea or Sea of Bismarck is not the only
upwelling that affects many coral reefs of the coral triangle. In
addition to the classical upwelling generated by the monsoonal winds
during the Southeast Monsoon (July-September) many coral reefs that we
observed (during all seasons) are affected by daily tidally-induced
upwelling as well. These events are significant and we described them
as high-frequency, low-duration phenomena. Based on nutrient, salinity
and temperature profiles we concluded that this tidally-induced
upwelling brings up water masses from depths of 100 to 60m. On the
coral reefs of Banda Sea the tidal upwelling will result in a drop of
2 to 4 deg C in the SSTs over the coral reef. In Berau (Kalimantan
Timur) we measured temperatures that were 2.5 deg C lower just over
the coral reef than SST’s. During some tides this separation is only 2
to 3 m. So I have no problem believing that in some areas of the
tropical oceans, and PNG in particular, SSTs may be significantly
different among sites, but we need to find out why instead of jumping
to one conclusion or another.

Studies in Indonesia have shown that SSTs in upwelling regions are
directly related to the intensity of the upwelling, which is primarily
a function of wind strength and fetch.  Around the globe we are seeing
intensification of tropical storms and ENSO events.  Can we therefore
also expect an impact on the wind systems that drive these regional
upwellings? Increased wind strength may therefore intensify these
regional (localized) upwelling events which may result in
local/regional cooling that may go counter to the global SST increase.

Tom