[Coral-List] carbon offsetting AND slowing down

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 06:09:21 UTC 2019

Ulf,
    In the US, the National Science Foundation is the main funder of
scientific research, though individual Universities and Colleges do a
little funding.  Various corporations do lots of funding of scientific
studies (which may be more or less tied to trying to find new profitable
products, I remember Bell Labs, part of the Bell Telephone Co., produced
the first working transistor, and if I remember also the discovery of the
cosmic background radiation that got a Nobel Prize, so they can do some
pretty fabulous basic science research sometimes), and some government
agencies fund research on topics they need info on.  So, for instance NOAA
Coral Reef Conservation Program funds some activities, though most are for
conservation purposes as the program title indicates, which is totally
appropriate in my view.  And their budget is truly tiny compared to the
problem.
    National Science Foundation grants are incredibly competitive.  They
use a peer-review system, using top scientists to review proposals.  If a
proposal doesn't beat the competition, it won't get funded, and there are
vastly more scientists who want funding than those that get it.  Most of
those that apply do not get funded, and that is in all areas of science,
nothing in particular to do with climate change denial, everything to do
with limited budget, loads of good science proposals, and intense
competition from very bright and hard working people.  My guess is that
other countries have somewhat similar situations.
     But cheer up, the fossil fuel industry funds deniers, and has vastly
more funding available than puny programs like NOAA's coral reef program,
just check out Mike Risk's email.  Lots of funding there for anything that
supports climate change denial.  Does any of it go to serious, real
science?  I don't know, I doubt very much they want the public to know what
they fund, this is all private funding and part of the purpose is to keep
it hidden.
     Science is all about testing hypotheses, and climate hypotheses need
testing just like everything else.  I have no doubt of that, and I'm sure
that actual publishing climate scientists agree, and much of what they do
is exactly that.  Proposals based on good reviews of existing evidence and
good logic and good ideas are probably the most likely to get funded.
Crackpot stuff from people who don't know what they are talking about
rarely if ever gets funded (and most of the intermediate proposals, good
science but not better than the competition, doesn't get funded,
unfortunately there is not enough money).  True in all areas of science.
If the people who like to call themselves "climate skeptics" actually had
good evidence, logic and ideas, they'd get funded.  There are HUGE
incentives for scientists and academics in general to discover new things
and upset old or existing theories and ideas. Same goes for the funders of
studies that discover totally new things or overturn well established
ideas.  But things like cold fusion generally don't get funded, since there
is a near zero chance they will pass muster as solid evidence.  But Google
just funded 3 years of science on cold fusion.  And not surprisingly they
came up with no evidence to support it being real and lots showing it
wasn't.  Google can do what it wants with its money.  NSF has a
responsibility to taxpayers not to waste their money.
      And who knows, maybe the US gov't will start funding anything it can
find to support its pre-conceived notions on climate change.
Cheers, Doug