[Coral-List] carbon off setting and slowing slowing down

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Thu Jun 20 16:09:55 UTC 2019

Re: Gene's comments on CO2 skeptics feeling threatened, I would point out
the concerns by some researchers to use terms like "climate change" in NSF
proposals under the present administration. I cannot verify either
scenario, but I have no problem with my present NSF grant and reading the
listserve. I do get frustrated by the repeated (and repeated and
repeated.....) themes/arguments by regular pairings, but I still know where
the DELETE key is on my computer. I also try to keep up on the "climate
denier" literature as there are interesting arguments and bits of
historical information there as well. Neither substitutes for nor changes
my habits when reading or contributing to peer-reviewed discussions. The
listserve is a valuable resource and I don't personally know of any peers
that see the two as contradictory or in conflict.

On anonymity, I will not use any information provided in confidence and
attribute it to "some people" (too "presidential" for me). If I am
sufficiently interested, I can just email the contributor off-line and ask
for the name of the source - and usually get positive responses from the
poster. Journals and listserves are different beasts and, as long as we
don't conflate the two, I value both.

Best,

Dennis

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 11:55 AM Eugene Shinn via Coral-List <