[Coral-List] Mineral Accretion/ Biorock

John Koster jkoster at ucsc.edu
Sun Jun 23 20:44:39 UTC 2019

With regards to the ongoing thread, my recent research project was a growth
experiment in mesocosm, with tropical corals under weak DC electrolytic
regime:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/318685024_Electrolysis_halogen_oxidizing_agents_and_reef_restoration
Readers will find relevant background information on the technology, as
well as details of the experimental design, results, and a new hypothesis
for its biological mode of action: When deployed in the natural environment
(i.e., an open system), there arises a prophylactic microbicidal effect
caused powerfully disinfectant, yet highly diffused chlorine produced
oxidants and radicals streaming from the anode - which tends to take out
tiny pathogens and competitors of corals (but without causing significant
harm to larger, tougher organisms), plus other improvements to water
quality .  Your comments are welcomed.

John W. Koster, M.S.

Research Fellow

Dr. Donald C. Potts Lab