[Coral-List] New Publication: Host-dependent nitrogen recycling as a mechanism of symbiont control in Aiptasia

guoxin cui guoxin.cui at kaust.edu.sa
Wed Jun 26 20:54:11 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

We are excited to share with you our new publication:

 Cui G, Liew YJ, Li Y, Kharbatia N, Zahran NI, Emwas A-H, et al. (2019)
Host-dependent nitrogen recycling as a mechanism of symbiont control in
*Aiptasia*. PLoS Genet 15(6): e1008189.
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pgen.1008189

The symbiotic relationship with photosynthetic algae is key to the success
of reef building corals in the nutrient poor environment of tropical
waters. Extensive insight has been obtained from both physiological and
“omics” level studies, yet, there are still gaps in our knowledge with
respect to the metabolic interactions in this symbiotic relationship. In
particular, the role of the host in nitrogen utilization and its potential
link to symbiont population control still remains unclear. Using a
meta-analysis approach on publicly available RNA-seq data and
isotope-labeled metabolomics, we demonstrate the presence of a
negative-feedback cycle in which the host uses symbiont-derived organic
carbon to assimilate its own waste ammonium. This host-driven nitrogen
recycling process might serve as a molecular mechanism to control symbiont
densities *in hospite*. The dependence of this regulatory mechanism on
organic carbon provided by the symbionts explains the sensitivity of this
symbiotic relationship to environmental stress.

Best Regards,

Guoxin Cui

this email.