[Coral-List] drone used to photograph reefs

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 21:20:48 UTC 2019

So fantastic whiz-bang technology!  Great!!  We'd all like to be able to
finally see what the reef looks like, each bump, hole, and coral colony, on
our computer screens in the office or lab.  Never mind that it is only a
tiny patch of the world's reefs.  Article didn't say how much 6 mo of
supercomputer time to crunch the data will cost.  Surely vastly more than
the $90,000 for the camera and $15,000 for the drone.  How practical will
that be for mapping the world's reefs?  What major coral reef problem will
be solved by this?  Will it solve some major mystery about reefs?  Will it
save any reefs or corals?  I didn't see an answer to that in the article.
A person was quoted in this article as saying it is faster than having
someone go underwater and take a lot of pictures and stitch them together.
But clearly not faster if you include computer time.  Instead of 6 mo of
supercomputer, you can do the computer processing on your own computer in a
few hours with software that is dirt cheap compared to a supercomputer for
6 mo.  For the price of supercomputer for 6 mo, you could provide funding
for reef management for a whole country for a year or more, I would guess.
Or voluntary birth control for a whole small country for a year or so (I'm
totally with you on that, Alina!).
    I'm playing "devil's advocate" here.
     Cheers,  Doug