[Coral-List] More positive outlook would be nice but...

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 04:34:11 UTC 2019

Bob,
     I think you make good points.  Both are gigantic problems (along with
over consumption in rich countries), but the population problem can't be
solved fast enough to save reefs, while emissions can (barely, if we really
make huge changes quickly, which seems unlikely, which is where my
pessimism comes in).  That doesn't mean we should ignore the population
problem or over consumption.  Reducing over consumption would reduce
impacts including emissions.  For the long term, we'll have to solve all
three, but for the relatively short term (20-30 years), emissions and maybe
consumption are the only ones that can be solved quickly enough to help
reefs.  The best projections based on the evidence have the population
problem solving itself, but the peak won't be any time soon, not soon
enough.  I haven't heard any suggestion from anyone, on list or off, of a
way to not only reduce the rate of growth of the population, not only
stabilize population, but reduce it enough to save reefs.  Not going to
happen in time for that.  I think we need to be realistic about what we
have a ghost of a chance of succeeding in.  I agree completely with Alina
that providing voluntary family planning for those that want it but can't
afford it, would not only be generous and philanthropic, but help reduce
population growth rates faster, achieve a lower peak population, and get
the population coming down sooner.  It is the responsibility of the rich
countries and the rich people to lead on that.  But the USA, for one, is
not doing it's part on that by a long, long shot.
     Cheers, Doug

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 1:36 PM Robert W Buddemeier via Coral-List <

> I am delighted to see Alina back and apparently unmellowed by time or
> distance.
>
> She is correct in her analyses and conclusions.  Whether you agree with her
> or not, consider risk evaluation -- assessment of the penalties for being
> wrong in policy or action.
>
> Assume that climate change and/or overpopulation are serious and
> potentially catastrophic problems.  Get that wrong and act on it, and you
> may suffer major unnecessary expenses and hardship.  Assume no problem, and
> error may result in a real possibility of extinction (ours, as well as that
> of our beloved invertebrates).  Go ahead, decide what you value and what
> chances you are willing to take. Then pick one of the choices.
>
> Although I fundamentally agree with Alina, I have a tactical disagreement
> with her.  I think attacking climate change first is the most practical
> course. The evidence mounts rapidly, more and more people are taking it
> seriously, there are some feasible actions that can be taken -- and serious
> attention leads inexorably to consideration of the overpopulation problem.
> As long as people are comforted by the prospect of an empty planet, or
> arguing that the issue merits more nuanced discussion, we are very far away
> from addressing in any useful fashion whatever population problem there
> might be.
>
> Pessimistically yours,
>
> Bob Buddemeier
>
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 10:08 AM Alina Szmant via Coral-List <
> coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> > I have noticed something very interesting. Coral-List subscribers that
> > agree that human overpopulation is the major issue write to me privately
> > and not to the whole list. Those of you who think over-consumption is the
> > whole problem and have a knee-jerk social justice reaction to the "how do
> > we reduce human population size?" issue, write to the list. Wonder why
> that
> > is?
> >
> > Before I get to my reply to Peter's message, I'd like to remind everyone
> > of an important little book that was published by University of Georgia
> in
> > 2013:  "Life On The Brink: Environmentalists Confront Overpopulation" (
> >
> https://www.amazon.com/Life-Brink-Environmentalists-Confront-Overpopulation/dp/0820343854
> ).
> > In the final chapters it offers a few suggestions for how to reduce human
> > numbers outside disease and war. Several of them make sense to me, which
> > include giving free birth control to all women so that only wanted (by
> the
> > woman) pregnancies happen. Most pregnancies are unintended and unwanted
> > especially in societies where women are subjugated to their husbands and
> > where manhood is measured by how many children you have fathered. I
> visited
> > a Maasai boma where an 84 year old man with 15 wives had 43 children. And
> [...]

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

A call to climate action  (Science editorial)
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6443/807?utm_campaign=toc_sci-mag_2019-05-30&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2840296

New book "The Uninhabitable Earth"  First sentence: "It is much, much worse
than you think."
Read first (short) chapter open access:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/read-a-chapter-from-the-uninhabitable-earth-a-dire-warning-on-climate-change

Want a Green New Deal?  Here's a better one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/want-a-green-new-deal-heres-a-better-one/2019/02/24/2d7e491c-36d2-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.a3fc8337cbf8