[Coral-List] UN SDG #1 Poverty and SDG #4 Quality Education

Ehsan KAYAL ehsan.kayal at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 07:13:23 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

I would like to add to Nohora's argument for a change in the paradigm of
sustainability and conservation, which is based on the Westerner concept of
"development" as a linear and unidirectional trajectory with a unique
pattern and end-goal. As an evolutionary biologist, I see such bias in our
way we approach many (if not most) scientific questions, starting with the
evolution of what we call "complexity". Similarly, we call "developed"
countries places where most of the environment has been destroyed or
transformed, lifestyle streamlined and dependency upon technological
innovations has reached nearly irreversible hikes. Such a vicious cycle of
ever increasing dependency requires an ever-increasing input of resources
whose extraction extends all over the world and impact mostly those places
that are still relatively sustainable if it were not for the pressure to
"develop". And yet, we have people on this forum and also in the elite
blaming those "developing" countries for the consequences of those
destructions, and not our (imperialist) societies that are the drivers and
final consumers of these destruction.

As scientists, we have a duty to look at the problems we confront from as
broad a perspective as possible, and not narrow down our views to satisfy
societal and political pressures.

Cheers,

___________________________________
Ehsan Kayal, PhD
Station Biologique de Roscoff
FR 2424 CNRS UPMC
Place Georges Teissier
CS 90074
29688 Roscoff Cedex
tel: (+33)298295646
ehsan.kayal at sb-roscoff.fr
This conversation is most likely monitored by the government
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we
created them.” Albert Einstein

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 at 02:45, Nohora Galvis via Coral-List <