[Coral-List] Request for Information re: resistance of Pocillopora meandrina to high seawater temperatures

Lance Smith - NOAA Federal lance.smith at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 15 19:07:25 UTC 2019

Coral List: I am coordinating a response by the US National Marine
Fisheries Service to a petition to list *Pocillopora meandrina* under the
Endangered Species Act. In many locations, the species has been heavily
bleached and suffered high mortality in response to high seawater
temperatures, such as in Hawaii in 2015 and the Mariana Islands in 2017.
But I've heard anecdotal accounts that the species was one of the most
resistant to bleaching on the GBR in 2016, although I haven't been able to
find any published information, data, or even observations to confirm this.
If you have any such information from the GBR or elsewhere within the
species' range, and are willing to share it, I would very much like to hear
from you. I can be reached at lance.smith at noaa.gov or (808) 725-5131. Thank
you.
--
Lance Smith, Ph.D