[Coral-List] [Cnidarian-dinoflagellate-symbiosis] genetic connectivity of Symbiodinium individuals within a single colony

Baker, Andrew abaker at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Mar 21 14:50:36 UTC 2019

Hi Misha

I’m afraid I have to disagree. We simply do not know how often exogenous symbionts are acquired from the environment. My suspicion is that it happens all the time, just at a very low level, and those symbionts have a very hard time displacing a huge population of resident symbionts. Think of them as mutant alleles in a very large population. Most of them are neutral and come and go all the time and we never notice – in part because we don’t sample an entire colony when we study this. But occasionally some symbionts are acquired that can be positively selected for, and this selection is much more powerful if a bleaching event first removes much of the standing stock of symbionts (thereby reducing the effective population size and allowing the “adaptive mutant” to spread through the population, to continue with the popgen metaphor).

Of course this does not happen to the same degree with all species of coral and symbiont. For example, I think D. trenchii is pretty good at getting into corals, and not just at the larval acquisition stage. But I don’t think it’s the only symbiont that can do this.

There are lines of evidence that point in both directions and of course that means it might be different in different coral species, or under particular circumstances. So I’m just cautioning against making emphatic statements like “no, corals cannot switch symbionts for a new strain as adults” (note: my view above is expressed as a “suspicion” (albeit one based on some experience) hence readers are free to take it or leave it!

I will also note that this same discussion has been playing out for at least 18 year…. Apparently, it has still not yet come of age!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew C. Baker, M.A. (Cantab.), Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Marine Biology and Ecology
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami
4600 Rickenbacker Cswy.
Miami, FL 33149, USA
Voice: +1 (305) 421-4642