[Coral-List] [Cnidarian-dinoflagellate-symbiosis] genetic connectivity of Symbiodinium individuals within a single colony

Daniel Merselis danielmerselis at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 03:56:32 UTC 2019

Hello again,

One more possibility for option 1 (endogenous repopulation only):

What if the host gastrodermal cells containing the cryptic endosymbiont are
relatively well dispersed through the colony and divide rapidly following
bleaching and cryptic symbionts are distributed to daughter cells? A 0.01%
symbiont could reach 100% in a little over 13 cell divisions.

There's evidence for necrosis and apoptosis of gastrodermal cells during
bleaching itself- Is there evidence for massive turnover of gastrodermal
cells coinciding with bleaching recovery?

In corals with a bleached patch, is there a wave of new gastrodermal cells
moving in from the outside of the patch inwards or are gastrodermal cells
within the patch a similair age to those outside of the patch after
recovery?

Best,
Dan

sent from my phone.