[Coral-List] [Cnidarian-dinoflagellate-symbiosis] genetic connectivity of Symbiodinium individuals within a single colony

Baker, Andrew abaker at rsmas.miami.edu
Sat Mar 23 01:25:00 UTC 2019

Hi guys

Yes, a few papers come to mind that provide evidence for that exogenous symbiont acquisition from the environment can occur at the adult stage:

Lewis & Coffroth 2004 Science
Coffroth et al. 2010 PLoS One
Boulotte et al. 2016 ISME J
(There are probably more, sorry if I missed someone's paper here...)

Yes labeling symbionts is a good idea. We tried this a few years ago with stains, but the stain dilutes out from the symbionts as they grow and divide so you have to act quickly. Someone should try it again...!

Interesting to think about facultative scleractinian symbiosis in this regard (e.g. Oculina and Astrangia), and Aiptasia, and clams. Do we think that scleractinians are unique in being closed systems as adults? I think it's more parsimonious to think that all these organisms can acquire symbionts as adults, rather than concluding its possible for some but not others.

My main point is that we shouldn’t be too dogmatic about these things, which is I guess why I felt I had to respond to Misha's answer to Thomas's question. I'm not trying to counter dogma with more dogma. Just saying we have to keep an open mind, and to do that I have to argue the counterfactual.

Friday night! No more email for me...!

Andrew
_______________________
Andrew C. Baker, M.A. (Cantab.), Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Marine Biology and Ecology
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami
4600 Rickenbacker Cswy.
Miami, FL 33149, USA
Voice: +1 (305) 421-4642
Fax: +1 (305) 421-4642
Email: abaker at rsmas.miami.edu
Visit the lab on facebook by clicking here