[Coral-List] IPBES Global Assessment report launched on Monday

David Obura dobura at cordioea.net
Wed May 8 17:33:13 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

Thanks Doug Fenner for bringing this up and I was remiss not to put a notice on the coral-list … but I know that many on the list have seen the media hype on this.

‘This' was the Global Assessment of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), essentially building up to be the IPCC to the UN/Conv on Biological Diversity for the relationship between people and nature.

The Summary for Policy Makers was adopted by the Plenary of the countries following 5 days of negotiations (mostly till midnight, valuable use of time!!) in Paris, and released on Monday - you can find it at the link provided by Doug - http://www.ipbes.net/sites/default/files/downloads/spm_unedited_advance_for_posting_htn.pdf?utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=ef727151d6-briefing-dy-20190507&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-ef727151d6-43423877

If you’re social media-inclined, look for #IPBES, #IPBES7 and #GlobalAssessment.

You can see all the gory details for yourselves, and then in the full assessment report when it is finally released. But the key messages are of outlining 1) the core role of nature for sustaining people, 2) that our actions fundamentally affect it - generally in profoundly negative ways, and 3) that there is still hope (a glimmer/beacons?) through transformative change.

Part of my job was to ensure the coral reef message featured, and it was promoted by many others too - that it would take something truly earth-shattering (literally), to reverse the growing threats sufficiently to keep within the 1.5-2 C warming targets that already are calamitous for coral reefs, notwithstanding all the other threats also growing.

Three things that I think provide some leverage for forward movement relevant to us:

1) a VERY strong call for ’transformative change’ at all levels,

2) an EXTREMELY strong recognition of the multiple ways people and cultures value, use and govern nature, recognising indigenous and local perspectives much more than in past nature/economy, and global, processes,

3) these were accepted by the 132 signatory governments, even though some made VERY strong attempts to cut out certain messages.

So to some extent it may seem like/be just more UN-speak, but it may just provide additional ‘cover’ for the various grassroots efforts that all of us are engaged in, to grow and coalesce, and push for real change.

So please do read and see how it can be relevant in your context, and push your governments and constituencies for change.

here’s hoping,

David

David Obura || CORDIO East Africa, #9 Kibaki Flats, Kenyatta Beach, Bamburi Beach, P.O.BOX 10135 Mombasa 80101, Kenya
Email: dobura at cordioea.net; davidobura at gmail.com; Website: www.cordioea.net; www.wiofutures.net
Mobile: +254-715 067417; skype dobura; Twitter @dobura