[Coral-List] CO2 reduction: we can but will we?

Anne Sheppard a.sheppard at hotmail.com
Mon May 13 20:59:39 UTC 2019

I am interested to see the discussions on Coral List about carbon offsetting airplane journeys.

The single biggest production of greenhouse gas emission (and biodiversity loss) is animal agriculture, at over 25% of all GHG emissions, whereas aviation is just 2-4%.  If we are really interested in reducing your carbon footprint and saving coral reefs, then we must stop faffing around with band-aid solutions and become vegan, or at least vegetarian.

I gave a lecture on this a while ago where two older reef conservationists were overheard agreeing that they could never give up meat!  However, there was a lot of interest and agreement from the younger people in the audience. Much change that is being achieved seems to be driven by the young, yet many call them entitled.  I would think that they might feel entitled to inherit a working planet.

best wishes

Anne Sheppard