[Coral-List] carbon offsetting AND the need for innovative problem solvers to halt climate change

MariaJung89 at t-online.de MariaJung89 at t-online.de
Wed May 15 09:50:14 UTC 2019

Dear Doug, Franziska and reading coral-listers,

Yes, changing to a sustainable lifestyle requests some sort of "self-sacrifice" which most people probably are not willing to perform. However, I don´t agree that "the effect of one person doing it is undetectable" - the most recent example for that is the "Fridays For Future" movement, initialized by a single person. I´m not saying that it will change the world if some people decide to not attend conferences like the ICRS in Bremen. I rather think it´s time that we all stop pointing at other people´s behaviour to make ourselves feel better about our lacking contribution to fight the climate crisis. I think it´s time that we start to think about what we can do and if this "just" means raising this topic among other scientists and bringing it up at conferences, although there are many more options which don´t imply reinventing the world (e.g. becoming at least a flexitarian). The more we are the more attention we will gain - while we wait for the government to start doing something on a bigger scale (and this will most likely be a long wait).

@Franziska: Great to hear that you already addressed this topic to the ICRS organizers. I will do the same - perhaps they will implement this topic if more people ask for it.
Ideas could perhaps be to create several time slots per session which are specifically reserved for (and advertised as) "Online-Talks" in order to promote the idea of an "online conference" (especially for those who can´t switch to more sustainable transportation). Providing a live stream of the whole conference could further increase the attraction of this idea, so no one is missing out on information. Also, the proposed option of attending the conference online could be strongly promoted prior to the conference, hopefully raising (more) awareness among the attendees whether it is really necessary to be physically present or not. Nevertheless, I think it´s also important to highlight the need of more sustainable structures in science at the conference as well (perhaps in a form of session/workshop).
In the meantime, I´m looking forward to read about the outcomes of the AMLC meeting.

Cheers,
Maria

-----Original-Nachricht-----