[Coral-List] New mapping of Central Great Barrier Reef region

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Wed May 15 23:59:49 UTC 2019

The Allen Coral Atlas team has reached a new milestone.
We just added a new mapped region: the Central Great Barrier Reef, from Cairns to Cooktown, Australia.

The newly mapped region provides a deeper understanding of the coral environment, including the Atlas’s rich data in benthic, geomorphic, and bathymetric layers.
With this region, we now have 237 reefs viewable online, making this the largest addition to the Atlas so far.
In prior mapping efforts we mapped one reef at a time with only two or three satellite images per reef.
To generate the data for the new region, we mapped all 237 reefs at once and used hundreds of satellite images.

This new dataset covers 3,000 square km of coral reef, about 10% of the entire Great Barrier Reef. No other region in the world shows so many reefs, mapped consistently at this level of detail, and captured all at once. For the Allen Coral Atlas team, this was a unique opportunity to push our mapping skills further.

More information in our blog
https://www.allencoralatlas.org/blog/central-great-barrier-reef-available/

Access here the Allen Coral Atlas
https://allencoralatlas.org/