[Coral-List] carbon offsetting AND the need for innovative problem solvers to halt climate change

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri May 17 20:58:47 UTC 2019

Excellent!!  The idea at the end had me howling, GREAT IDEA!!!  Now we're
talking.

I'd like to add the titles to the two articles you give links to, in case
some people don't have time to take a look at them:

Climate change: focusing on how individuals can help is very convenient for
corporations.

A quote from that article:   "A recent report
<https://b8f65cb373b1b7b15feb-c70d8ead6ced550b4d987d7c03fcdd1d.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/cms/reports/documents/000/002/327/original/Carbon-Majors-Report-2017.pdf?1499691240>
found
that just 100 companies are responsible for 71% of global emissions since
1988. Incredibly, a mere 25 corporations and state-owned entities were
responsible for more than half of global industrial emissions in that same
period."

If we want to solve the problem and save reefs, we have to go to the source
of the problems.  And dear reader, it isn't you!

Second article:
Individual action won't achieve 1.5C warming- social change is needed, as
history shows.

A quote: " “single biggest way to have impact on climate change and other
environmental crises is through collective pressure on policymakers to act
in our interest rather than special interests”.

Cheers,  Doug

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 4:44 AM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <

> Dear Listers,
>
> As I reflected upon all the good ideas touched upon in this thread (and
> there are many), I couldn’t help but think about the bigger picture. Not
> just encompassing the coral reef community, but the world as a whole. Let’s
> face it, considering the current trajectory of carbon emissions there
> really isn’t much reason for optimism, be it for coral reefs or beyond
> unless we act quickly to change our collective ways on a planetary scale.
> This perspective carries me far beyond valid concerns for offsetting
> travel.
>
> A couple of timely essays on the website “The Conversation” focused on why
> keying in on individual behaviors might be wrong-minded. They are quick
> reads, so I urge you to consider them both. Although all individual efforts
> aimed at reducing one’s carbon footprint are commendable, they argue that
> at this point we need more in the way of widespread societal shifts and
> that individual actions won’t necessarily lead to that end.
>

> https://theconversation.com/climate-change-focusing-on-how-individuals-can-help-is-very-convenient-for-corporations-108546
>

> https://theconversation.com/individual-action-wont-achieve-1-5-warming-social-change-is-needed-as-history-shows-104643
>

> I know as an individual there is a lot more that I could do, but
> considering the scale of the crisis and the critical nature of projected
> time restraints, might it be possible that we should all be more focused on
> “collective actions” designed to compel our governments and policy makers
> to act with urgency to directly combat climate change?  If so, perhaps the
> emphasis in Bremen should be on constructing an even more powerful and
> forceful consensus statement along the lines of the one which emerged from
> the conference in 2012 and then finding a more ambitious and effective way
> to amplify our collective concerns.
>
> Maybe the ICRS can even get Greta Thunberg to be the keynote speaker!
>
> Regards,
> Steve
>

> http://www.icrs2012.com/Consensus_Statement.htm
>
> Sent from my iPad

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

New book "The Uninhabitable Earth"  First sentence: "It is much, much worse
than you think."
Read first (short) chapter open access:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/read-a-chapter-from-the-uninhabitable-earth-a-dire-warning-on-climate-change

Want a Green New Deal?  Here's a better one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/want-a-green-new-deal-heres-a-better-one/2019/02/24/2d7e491c-36d2-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.a3fc8337cbf8

Nations falling short of emissions cuts set by Paris climate pact, analysis
finds
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/nations-falling-short-emissions-cuts-set-paris-climate-pact-analysis-finds?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-28&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2515903