[Coral-List] New paper quantifying CEP coral reef thermal tolerances

Nathaniel Mollica nmollica at whoi.edu
Mon May 20 19:58:17 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

Coral reefs in the central equatorial Pacific experienced 9 heatwaves
since 1982,  but the reef response to the majority of those events was
not directly observed.  We used skeletal stress bands to quantify the
severity of bleaching on 8 CEP reef systems over the last 4 decades. All
except one (Kingman Reef) have bleached repeatedly over this time,
allowing us to constrain the unique thermal thresholds of each reef.

Our paper "Skeletal Records of Bleaching reveal Different Thermal
Thresholds of Pacific Coral Reefs" is now published and available here:
https://doi.org/10.1007/S00338-019-01803-X

Please let us know if you have any problems accessing the paper

Sincerely

Nathaniel + Anne

Nathaniel R. Mollica
Ph.D. Candidate
MIT WHOI Joint Program in Oceanography/Applied Ocean Science and Engineering