[Coral-List] Australia Downgrades Great Barrier Reef Outlook to 'Very Poor' - EcoWatch

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 17:08:32 UTC 2019

https://www.ecowatch.com/australia-great-barrier-reef-poor-2640118306.html?share_id=4848210

"The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority's (GBRMPA) report blamed climate
change <https://www.ecowatch.com/tag/climate-change> for coral bleaching,
which occurs as a result of rising sea temperatures
<https://www.dw.com/en/coral-reefs-rapidly-die-from-marine-heat-waves-study/a-49960345>
.

"Significant global action to address climate change is critical to slowing
the deterioration of the reef's ecosystem and heritage values and
supporting recovery," said the five-year review of the world's largest
coral reef system."

GBRMPA's Chief Scientist David Wachenfeld told reporters in Sydney that
despite the threat, "with the right mix of local actions to improve the
resilience of the system and global actions to tackle climate change ... we
can turn that around."

Cheers,  Doug

--
Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor

"Global warming is manifestly the foremost current threat to coral reefs,
and must be addressed by the global community if reefs as we know them will
have any chance to persist."  Williams et al, 2019, Frontiers in Marine
Science

A call to climate action  (Science editorial)
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6443/807?utm_campaign=toc_sci-mag_2019-05-30&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2840296

New book "The Uninhabitable Earth"  First sentence: "It is much, much worse
than you think."
Read first (short) chapter open access:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/read-a-chapter-from-the-uninhabitable-earth-a-dire-warning-on-climate-change