[Coral-List] Data on construction impacts

Julian julian at reefcheck.org.my
Wed Oct 9 04:47:46 UTC 2019

Dear coral list

I would like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of published
papers that report on the impact on marine ecosystems (particularly coral
reefs) of a large infrastructure project. I have seen various references to
papers describing negative impacts from such projects in general terms
(i.e..they're bad!); but I am hoping for something specific like: "they
built an airport there and we monitored coral reef health in the surrounding
area over a period of 5 years after construction and it declined by 50% in 5
years", or similar. I know, silver bullets don't exist, but anything like
that would be useful. In case you are wondering, there has been strong
support here for a new airport in what we consider to be a fairly pristine
reef area (it's in one of the 50 reefs sites).but it's fragile and
vulnerable to growing tourism.

Grateful any papers or data that might help us to argue against the
development..

Regards,

Julian Hyde

General Manager