[Coral-List] Find a partner on coral bleaching mitigation

Mário Cachão mcachao at fc.ul.pt
Thu Oct 10 09:36:22 UTC 2019

Thanks Karl for your very pertinent question.

The fast reply is that I hadn't thought yet from that perspective. But I’m thinking now.

The reason for pursuing bleaching effects is because I’m trying to indirectly validate another assumption. I’m paleontologist and during some time intervals we had fossil reef paleoenvironments dominated by extinct rudist bivalves with the (almost) complete absence of corals.  My interpretation (still unpublished) is that this may had to do with a stronger impact of repeated bleaching events on corals than on rudists (1).

This is the reason why I’m interested on bleaching effects but your argument is equally valid and with a much much broader application. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mario

1 – Rudists are interpreted by some authors as having had similar symbiotic relationships with zooxanthella as the modern giant clams (e.g. Tridacna).

I proposed a project on this subject but it was not approved, most probably because this is not my research area.

If someone from the list has data on the comparative resistance to bleaching of corals relative to the giant clams that would be also quite useful to validate above hypothesis.

Mario Cachao |Associate Professor (w/ Habilitation) | t: +351 217 500 362
Dep. Geology, Fac. Sciences, Univ. Lisbon, Portugal  |  www.fc.ul.pt/dg