[Coral-List] Microbial Symbiosis Workshop - London, Dec 16-17

Thomas Krueger tk556 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 3 12:31:30 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

on behalf of Ross Waller and the organising committee please find below
the announcement and invitation to join us at a Microbial Symbiosis
Meeting under the umbrella of Protistology UK in December of this year.

Dear colleagues,

I write to bring to your attention a workshop exploring symbioses
involving microbial partners and other organisms that will be the focus
of Protistology UK’s December meeting — the Microbial Symbiosis
Meeting/*.* /This workshop is supported by both the Microbiology
Society, and the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation who is also
co-organising the meeting with us.

This workshop coincides with the beginning of a major new funding
initiative of the Moore Foundation to support research in Microbial
Symbiosis in Aquatic Systems. We see this workshop as a timely and
exciting opportunity to explore new questions in microbial symbiosis, in
particular thinking about new approaches, strategies and technologies
that we as a community can bring to this topic. Representatives from the
Moore Foundation will also attend and participate, and this will be an
excellent opportunity to explore potential integration within their new
funding initiative.

Specifically, at this 2 half-day event we will:

  * Discuss leading-edge research on the evolution, ecology and biology
    of symbioses that include microbes
  * Identify novel perspectives on symbiosis by fostering dialogue
    between symbioses researchers and scientists/engineers who have not
    worked on the topic but have novel disciplinary and methodological
    perspectives to bring to the topic
  * Consider major unanswered questions of microbial symbiosis research,
    and formulate strategies to address these questions

We contact you because you either have existing programs that address
questions relevant to symbiotic interactions, or because you exploit
technologies that are relevant to studying this topic. We encourage you
to consider attending and/or sending relevant postdocs or postgrad
students. Financial support for presenting postdocs/postgrads is available.

Registration details can be found at the link below.*Please be aware
that there is a strict number limit of 60 attendees, so registration
will be on a first come first basis. *
*
*
*https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/microbial-symbiosis-meeting-tickets-64522733232*

Please forward this email to other relevant researchers that you think
would be interested.

Best wishes,
Ross Waller (on behalf of the organising committee)
--

*--*

*Thomas Krueger */Research Associate/

Waller Lab | Department of Biochemistry | University of Cambridge

*P: *+44 (0)1223 768942