[Coral-List] pumice raft will not save the Great Barrier Reef

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 22:21:40 UTC 2019

      I remember that the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) was long referred to as
one of the world's best managed coral reef systems.  Sadly, very sadly, but
no longer.  It probably has not been for quite a while, this is something
that was not recognized until relatively recently, but I don't think it is
a new situation.  Like for most of the world's reefs, not for lack of
trying, hard work by well-meaning people.  But society has not yet made the
commitments that are likely necessary.  Almost everywhere.
      I totally agree that we need to be realistic and accurate about what
has caused damage to coral reefs.  How can we fix things if we keep saying
the damage was caused by A when it was actually caused by B??  You have to
know the actual causes in order to correct problems, or else you waste
effort, time, and money on things that are not actually the cause of the
decline, and that means you are much less likely to be able to fix the
problem.
      The 2017 Consensus statement on the GBR Tomas points to says "The
systems have been severely impacted by a number of recent events—including
prolonged periods of extreme sea surface temperatures, tropical cyclones
and the progression of the fourth wave of crown-of-thorns starfish
population outbreaks."  It also says "The greatest water quality risks to
the Great Barrier Reef and coastal ecosystems are from discharges of (i)
nutrients, which are an additional stress factor for many coral species,
promote crown-of-thorns starfish population outbreaks with destructive
effects on mid-shelf and offshore coral reefs, and promote macroalgal
growth; (ii) fine sediments, which reduce the light available to seagrass
ecosystems and inshore coral reefs; and (iii) pesticides, which pose a
toxicity risk to freshwater ecosystems and some inshore and coastal
habitats."  I take the latter statement to mean that the risks are listed
in order, nutrients greatest, fine sediments second, and pesticides third,
probably in large part because the first has effects on the whole reef and
the latter two mainly on near-shore areas.  A published paper which appears
to be the published version of this (Kroon, et al, 2016) has been
referenced 44 times so far, according to Google Scholar.
      In addition, monitoring data from the GBR don't look as bad as they
did several years ago.  Bad news makes headlines, but good news is often
omitted, as readers are less interested.  As many of you probably know, as
of a few years ago, coral cover on the Great Barrier Reef had undergone a
drastic decline to levels closer to that of the Caribbean, astoundingly,
and of great concern.  Plus, now hot water bleaching has killed vast
numbers of corals in the northern part of the GBR in the last few years.
But I recommend looking at the most current results from the AIMS
monitoring program.  Check out the graphs and explanations (
https://www.aims.gov.au/reef-monitoring/gbr-condition-summary-2018-2019).
You'll see the northern section had no downward trend until the recent
bleaching events which produced a large decrease in coral cover, but looks
like recovery may (might) now have begun.  The central GBR shows a gradual
long term decline.  The southern GBR also shows a gradual long term
decline, but also a drastic decline that hit bottom in 2011 followed by a
complete recovery of coral cover from that drastic decline.  I believe the
drastic decline was due to the impacts of several tropical cyclones plus
crown of thorns outbreaks.  Maybe the GBR is more resilient than we
thought?  How long will it stay resilient????  Aren't we skating on thin
ice???
      This is NOT to say that the future for the GBR is rosy, or that it is
not being damaged, or that there have been no human impacts on the reef, or
that any reefs on the planet are safe from humans any longer.  Quite the
contrary.  But we need to acknowledge the reality of the mortality events,
the causes, and the trends in condition.
       An interesting further addition to the consensus statement:
"This is no time for hunches - we need evidence and expertise in science"
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/04/this-is-no-time-for-hunches-we-need-evidence-and-expertise-in-science?utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=ecd3b87115-briefing-dy-20190904&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-ecd3b87115-43423877
  Open-access
      Cheers, Doug

Kroon, F.J., Thorburn, Schaffelke and Whitten.  2016.  Towards protecting
the Great Barrier Reef from land-based pollution.  Global Change Biology
22: 1985-2002.