[Coral-List] Proposal that ICRS supports the organization of remote meetings for ICRS 2020

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Mon Sep 9 15:27:28 UTC 2019

While several thousand people flying to Germany will indeed produce a few days of extra CO2 emissions, I contend that the diets of these several thousand people over the 365 days a year of meat and dairy consumption will have a much greater effect on climate change than the emissions of their air travel, as described in the articles in the links below. If people are so concerned about being a contributor to C emissions and climate change, I suggest they take up a new, more climate friendly diet 365 days a year:  give up dairy, give up eating land animals. There is so much each person can do on a DAILY basis if they want to reduce and take responsibility for their carbon footprint, that will help not only coral reefs, but also continued destruction of what's left of the world's forests and wilderness.

I propose that the organizers of the Bremen ICRS take this into account in what food they provide to those of us who will attend: select food caterers who can provide vegan or at least vegetarian options, and only sustainably harvested seafood (no reef species). Also, no plastic bottles, electronic program book materials except for a printed summary of the daily schedule. (I am partially offsetting my air travel by having 34 x 365-watt solar panels on my home, and I am pesca-vegan).

There is an old phrase "put your money where your mouth is" which means:  to show by your actions and not just your words that you support or believe in something  (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/04/global-food-producers-climate-crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/02/revealed-amazon-deforestation-driven-global-greed-meat-brazil

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/04/factory-farming-destructive-wasteful-cruel-says-philip-lymbery-farmageddon-author

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
Website:  www.cisme-instruments.com

Videos:  CISME Promotional Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s
CISME Short version Demo Video 3:00 min  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4SqS7yC08