[Coral-List] Is coral reef restoration like heart disease treatment?

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 21:40:39 UTC 2019

Elizabeth
The United Nations declared 2021–2030 the Decade of Ecosystem Restoration, and it "aims to massively scale up the restoration of degraded and destroyed ecosystems as a proven measure to fight the climate crisis and enhance food security, water supply and biodiversity"
http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/1182090/icode/

Rather than a heart disease treatment, I use the analogy of a patient in cardiac arrest. Restoration ecology, if done correctly,  is the defibrillator that jump starts the system.
As in other ecosystem restoration efforts, in coral reef restoration, only science based projects, with well defined goals, hypothesis testing, procedures and monitoring have shown any success.

Scientists working in coral reef restoration are well aware that we have to work on multiple solutions at the same time: conservation, restoration, CO2 emissions, etc.
However, the hype in today's media often exaggerates what can be accomplished with any single solution, even when the scientists doing the interview have repeatedly warned of the limitations of their own research.

This is an opportunity for scientists and journalists to work together, so reporting on any progress done in the coral reef space is done at the appropriate scale.
We can then leave exaggeration to the Kardashians.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDoc
Science Blog: https://grouperluna.com/