[Coral-List] Restoration rationale

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 12 14:23:11 UTC 2019

In an attempt to better understand the processes and goals involved in coral restoration, I would ask listers to help me gain a fuller appreciation for projects like this.

https://www.coralrestoration.org/post/noaa-backs-coral-restoration-foundation-with-2-5-million-to-restore-florida-s-coral-reefs

Although I get the concept behind enhanced resilience and/or “super corals”, do researchers actually expect newly outplanted corals to flourish in degraded ecosystems like those found in the Florida Keys (and elsewhere) without first effectively addressing the multitude of stressors (including overall water quality, over-fishing, disease and now the broader impacts of climate change) that have, over the last several decades, contributed to these ecosystems becoming increasingly degenerated in the first place?

Seems to me that we’re putting the proverbial cart before the horse, but maybe I’m missing something (beyond the obvious).

Thanks,
Steve

Sent from my iPad