[Coral-List] ICRS carbon

Luiz Rocha lrocha at calacademy.org
Thu Sep 12 17:19:54 UTC 2019

The lowest carbon cost of an ICRS is no ICRS at all. Alternatively, we
could accept that lifestyle changes won't cut it, beating climate change
will require system wide adjustments. So we could all get together at ICRS
and advocate for that. Climate scientist Michael Mann puts it best:

https://time.com/5669071/lifestyle-changes-climate-change/

Cheers,

Luiz

P.S.: I just attended the Island Biology conference in Reunion Island
(about 300 participants) and the organization paid for travel carbon
offsets for every single participant. It wasn't much and their registration
cost was 10x less than what ICRS usually is. Has anybody looked into that?
With the astronomical cost of ICRS registration I am sure this would be
within the realm of possibilities.

*Luiz A. Rocha, PhD*
Associate Curator and Follett Chair of Ichthyology
California Academy of Sciences
p. 415.379.5370
f.  415.379.5731
LRocha at calacademy.org