[Coral-List] ICRS2020 and remote meetings

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Thu Sep 12 19:50:05 UTC 2019

Well spoken Andrea, and congratulations to the organizing committee to have thought carefully about how to green the ICRS meetings.  Science could shoot itself in the foot if it were to address climate change by reducing opportunities for face-to-face interaction at conferences.  Coral reef scientists should all be trying to walk the walk on climate change, but there are many ways of doing this - avoiding our one global quadrennial meeting seems an unwise solution to the problem.  That said, as an over-the-hill reef scientist I am not planning to travel to Bremen - I wish those who do, the best possible meeting, and the invigoration of research ideas such a meeting can provoke.  Those of us who attended the second ICRS on board the Marco Polo never forgot that experience, and I can think of a number of subsequent ICRS meetings that were equally worth travelling to.

Peter Sale
University of Windsor