[Coral-List] Restoration rationale

Alice Grainger alice at coralrestoration.org
Fri Sep 13 16:12:58 UTC 2019

Hello Steve,

That's a great question. It is, of course, critical that the causes of
coral decline are addressed and the stressors removed if we are going to be
able to ensure a future for coral reefs into the next century and beyond.

In the Keys, a number of the local stressors that contributed to reef
degradation are increasingly being alleviated. In recent decades, a sewage
system, mooring balls, increased diver awareness, and fishing regulations
have all created conditions that enable our outplants to survive and even
thrive – many of our outplanted corals are now observed to be spawning in
the wild.

The diverse genotypes that we work are also the descendants of corals that
survived decades of stressors, and so are likely hardy. As these corals
spawn, we are optimistic that the new genets that result will be even
better adapted to surviving in the current environmental conditions. Our
work with partners such as FLAQ is also accelerating the process by which
new genotypes can be created and introduced to the wild.

It is not also critical that we maintain wild populations of corals in
areas that have experienced a decline, rather than allow total local
extinction while we wait to "solve" climate change issues?

Best,

Alice

____________________

Alice Grainger
Communications Director, Coral Restoration Foundation™
Phone: (415) 770 8952

*Coral Restoration Foundation™*

*www.coralrestoration.org <http://www.coralrestoration.org>*

*facebook.com/CoralRestorationFoundation
<http://facebook.com/CoralRestorationFoundation>*

*twitter.com/coralcrf <http://twitter.com/coralcrf>*
*instagram.com/coralrestorationfoundation
<http://instagram.com/coralrestorationfoundation>*

Headquarters

89111 Overseas Hwy, Tavernier, Florida 33070

Exploration Center

5 Seagate Blvd, Key Largo, Florida 33037

*Phone*
(305) 453-7030

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 11:54 AM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <