[Coral-List] Restoration rationale

Steve Gittings - NOAA Federal steve.gittings at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 13 16:39:05 UTC 2019

I can say confidently that people at NOAA and everywhere else know that
restoration will only succeed if other stressors are reduced as well.  We
have people working at many levels on a whole range of problems, including
freshwater input, runoff from population centers, overfishing, vessel
traffic routing, zoning, disease control, invasive species removal, event
prediction, coastal development, debris removal, and more.  This story is
about one grant.  The fact that it doesn't mention other work doesn't mean
it isn't going on.  Whether it is all doomed because of climate change or
the cumulative impacts we have seen over the past few decades is another
story, and a worrisome one at that.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 11:59 AM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <

> In an attempt to better understand the processes and goals involved in
> coral restoration, I would ask listers to help me gain a fuller
> appreciation for projects like this.
>

> https://www.coralrestoration.org/post/noaa-backs-coral-restoration-foundation-with-2-5-million-to-restore-florida-s-coral-reefs
>
> Although I get the concept behind enhanced resilience and/or “super
> corals”, do researchers actually expect newly outplanted corals to flourish
> in degraded ecosystems like those found in the Florida Keys (and elsewhere)
> without first effectively addressing the multitude of stressors (including
> overall water quality, over-fishing, disease and now the broader impacts of
> climate change) that have, over the last several decades, contributed to
> these ecosystems becoming increasingly degenerated in the first place?
>
> Seems to me that we’re putting the proverbial cart before the horse, but
> maybe I’m missing something (beyond the obvious).
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>

> Sent from my iPad

Dr. Steve Gittings, Science Coordinator
NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
1305 East West Hwy., N/ORM62
Silver Spring, MD  20910
(240) 533-0708 (w), (301) 529-1854 (c)

*Follow National Marine Sanctuaries <http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/>*