[Coral-List] ICRS carbon

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 08:32:17 UTC 2019

Thank you very much, Luiz!!  That is spot on true.  And great idea about
carbon offsets for the travelers.  I think actually that the cost of carbon
offset should be built in to the cost of all plane tickets.

Cheers,  Doug

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 4:24 AM Luiz Rocha via Coral-List <

> The lowest carbon cost of an ICRS is no ICRS at all. Alternatively, we
> could accept that lifestyle changes won't cut it, beating climate change
> will require system wide adjustments. So we could all get together at ICRS
> and advocate for that. Climate scientist Michael Mann puts it best:
>
> https://time.com/5669071/lifestyle-changes-climate-change/
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luiz
>
> P.S.: I just attended the Island Biology conference in Reunion Island
> (about 300 participants) and the organization paid for travel carbon
> offsets for every single participant. It wasn't much and their registration
> cost was 10x less than what ICRS usually is. Has anybody looked into that?
> With the astronomical cost of ICRS registration I am sure this would be
> within the realm of possibilities.
>
> *Luiz A. Rocha, PhD*
> Associate Curator and Follett Chair of Ichthyology
> California Academy of Sciences
> p. 415.379.5370
> f.  415.379.5731
> LRocha at calacademy.org
> Academic Website
> <https://www.calacademy.org/staff/ibss/ichthyology/luiz-a-rocha>
>
> 55 Music Concourse Drive
> Golden Gate Park
> San Francisco, CA 94118
>
> Twitter <https://twitter.com/CoralReefFish> | Instagram
> <https://www.instagram.com/coralreeffish/>

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

"Global warming is manifestly the foremost current threat to coral reefs,
and must be addressed by the global community if reefs as we know them will
have any chance to persist."  Williams et al, 2019, Frontiers in Marine
Science

A call to climate action  (Science editorial)
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6443/807?utm_campaign=toc_sci-mag_2019-05-30&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2840296

New book "The Uninhabitable Earth"  First sentence: "It is much, much worse
than you think."
Read first (short) chapter open access:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/read-a-chapter-from-the-uninhabitable-earth-a-dire-warning-on-climate-change