[Coral-List] Restoration rationale (Steve Mussman) (Andrew Ross)

Andrew Ross ross.andrew at mac.com
Fri Sep 20 16:46:19 UTC 2019

Hi Austin,
To keep within the analogy, Jamaica’s corals have been living in the burning building for 40+ years including some born into it. Rarely are they thriving beyond one-one, but they are persisting. They do respond negatively to storms/blow-down as these elevate stress beyond durability. They also do respond positively to fragmentation/relocation to grazed & elevated points, including via nursery head-starting. Yes, at management scales. Yes, related to value and that value is usually related to tourism, at least in the shorter-terms needed to keep rent paid.

To continue to mangle the good analogy, how has the fire progressed? What remains and does not? Have rooms burned themselves out? Are the masonry, tiles & toilets salvageable? For Jamaica’s north coast:
* Diadema (urchins) have returned here and there (few fish to eat them) to great impact to macroalgae, established corals & CCA including a bit of recruitment. Those rooms are livable, though maybe smokey with an occasional cinder.
* Coralliophila (snails) are patchy-common, but tiny, so the larger may have starved out.
* Apparently novel diseases in massive a corals last and this year, leaving graveyards were we had beautiful hope beacon gardens. That was the whole western wing in inferno, though now seems to be burning itself out with some foundations remaining.
* Hermodice (fire-worms) are currently a major issue, but may be in a pulse from gorging on dying massive coral tissue. My hope is that these particularly huge worms also starve out.
* 1980s banding & patching diseases are almost certainly still present in Acropora, and with plenty of damselfish. Those rooms are a no-go, even with a fireman.
* We noted the first hints of bleaching just this morning. Fingers-crossed it doesn’t get too near the gas mains…

Andrew M. Ross, Ph.D.
Seascape Caribbean
+1-876-363-8850