[Coral-List] ICRS 2020 Regional Meetings

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 18:45:37 UTC 2019

When I lived in Australia, I would go each year to the Australian coral
reef symposium.  I thought it was great.  Great quality, and very
manageable quantity, I could easily see all the presentations I wanted to
see.  Plus I didn't have to travel far.  At this point there are several
regional symposia, Europe, Asia, Australia.  Maybe we could use more.
Cheers, Doug

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 6:25 AM Chelsie Counsell via Coral-List <

> As coral reef scientists, we know enough about how CO2 emissions are
> impacting coral reefs to take action, and one part of taking action is
> shifting our lifestyles. Traveling less is part of that. To be
> exceptionally clear, in proposing regional meetings, I am in no way
> suggesting that anyone should consider driving from Hawaii to Germany.
> Instead, I am advocating for a re-evaluation of our goals of research
> symposiums, and encouraging creativity for new ways to operate as coral
> reef scientists that have minimal contributions to global CO2 emissions. As
> part of this, I am suggesting that we should be mindful of how often and
> how far we travel.
>
> The climate crisis demands that we design innovative approaches and
> consider solutions with open minds. We all need to contribute, to do what
> we can, and as Doug pointed out, to then look for ways to do even more.
> Yes, some of the various needed lifestyle changes may be uncomfortable.
> Regardless, given the chance that by doing everything we can, we just might
> keep the climate crisis from completely destroying coral reefs, doing
> everything we can seems worth it.
>
> --
> Chelsie Counsell, Ph.D.
> Quantitative Community Ecologist
> Hawai'i Institute of Marine Biology
> chelsiew12 at gmail.com

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

"Global warming is manifestly the foremost current threat to coral reefs,
and must be addressed by the global community if reefs as we know them will
have any chance to persist."  Williams et al, 2019, Frontiers in Marine
Science

A call to climate action  (Science editorial)
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/364/6443/807?utm_campaign=toc_sci-mag_2019-05-30&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2840296

New book "The Uninhabitable Earth"  First sentence: "It is much, much worse
than you think."
Read first (short) chapter open access:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/read-a-chapter-from-the-uninhabitable-earth-a-dire-warning-on-climate-change