[Coral-List] Rapid Mortality Bleaching: Oahu

Damien Beri beridl at g.cofc.edu
Sun Sep 29 02:14:44 UTC 2019

Dear Coral-listers,

I would like to bring your attention to the dramatic bleaching starting to take place to reefs off the coast of Waikiki, in Oahu.

I frequently dive these reefs, 4-5X per week and have noticed dramatic declines in coral health over the past month. (Send me a message for images)

What has me very concerned, is that corals are going directly from a pale brown, to dead! All tissue is gone, within a short period of time (I.e., 7 days).

The classic “bleaching” is not happening.

Today’s reef temperature at 40 feet was 86 degrees F.

Coral species included are Porites sp., and especially Pocillopora meandrina. Even large colonies of Pocillopora meandrina, which are several years old, and may have survived 2014-15 bleaching are rapidly dying.

I would like some input of causation please.

Warm regards,
Damien Beri

NOAA Protected Resources Division
National Marine Fisheries Service

Masters In Marine Conservation and Policy
Stony Brook University