[Coral-List] coral disease in the Caribbean

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 30 20:44:38 UTC 2019

Hi Doug and Listers,

Can anyone shine additional light on the this SCTLD (Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease)?
Based on the article you posted there are many at work trying to figure out the dynamics involved, so I was hoping there might be at least some preliminary information available.
Cozumel recently decided to (at least temporarily) shut down a number of reefs along the southernmost tract of their marine park, so I was wondering what their rationale was. The reefs in the affected area (especially Colombia and Palancar) are among the most popular dive spots in the region. Perhaps they are trying to reduce stress on the reefs that might be caused by high diver traffic in those areas. Another article I read claims that they suspect that it is caused by a bacterial infection. The famous currents in Cozumel generally run south to north, so I suspect all the reefs there are at risk. I saw examples of the disease back in July while diving there and at the time they were experimenting with a gum-like substance which they were applying as a barrier in an attempt to stop the progression of the disease. I have pictures if anyone is interested and any more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Mussman

Sent from my iPad