[Coral-List] study says ocean life can be saved by 2050

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Mon Apr 6 21:22:03 UTC 2020

Hi Doug:

I read the "landmark" study paper you sent and sadly, found it useless. It doesn't propose anything that hasn't been proposed many, many, many? times before. While climate change has impacted coral reefs and some marine life, most marine life is on the verge of extinction because humans have eaten them. And nothing I read proposed any action how to reduce the number of human mouths eating seafood. Further, there are predictions that there will be a 'corona baby boom' 9-10 months from now. I am guessing that more babies will be born than humans killed by the pandemic, so that there is likely to be a bump in human population growth next year. Climate change is a biggy, I agree, but the cause of it goes beyond decreasing fossil fuel use. It includes reversing land management practices to restore natural habitats which is NOT going to happen as long as more people need land to grow food and live, work and play on.

To tie this message to other recent ones, I will reduce my flying when people stop having more than one baby. Each additional child born will create a greater life-time foot-print than me taking a few airplane flights a year. And I refuse to give up flying in order for others to have more babies. After 9/11 the atmospheric scientists reported the changes in atmospheric chemistry with no or few planes in the air for several weeks, and how long did that last?. In the meanwhile, there were ca. 6.3 BILLION people on Earth in September 2001, and now we are approaching 7.8 BILLION, i.e. 1.5 BILLION additional mouths to feed, bodies to clothe, house, educate, employ, etc. not to mention increasing leisure and recreational activities in less than 20 years. Some of the impact of the new 1.5 BILLION people is directly related to pure fossil fuel burning, but much of it isn't. And it's that 2/3's of the human impact that is not directly related to fossil fuel consumption that is driving the loss of ecosystems, habitats and species.

The last National Geographic issue is two side, a optimistic "how we saved the planet" side, and a pessimistic : "how we lost the planet". I find the pessimistic article more accurate because it is based on what we have been, are, and will be doing in the near future, while the optimistic compared to the optimist article, which based on experience, is wishful thinking.

Best,

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
Website:  www.cisme-instruments.com

Videos:  CISME Promotional Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s
CISME Short version Demo Video 3:00 min  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4SqS7yC08