[Coral-List] GBR bleachinig, coral larvae in hot water, plastic & coral disease

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 23:28:07 UTC 2020

The first article I referred to, in the Washington Post ("Great Barrier
Reef suffers its most widespread mass bleaching event on record"), has the
type of comment I have seen so often:

"Severely bleached corals turn bone white, and if their algal partners stay
away for too long, they can starve to death."

That may well happen sometimes, but if the water gets too hot, it can kill
them very quickly, way too quick for it to be due to starvation.  But this
keeps coming up in the press accounts.

OK, here's another press account of the GBR bleaching:

Great Barrier Reef is bleaching again.  It is getting more widespread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/world/australia/great-barrier-reefs-bleaching-dying.html?campaign_id=34&emc=edit_sc_20200407&instance_id=17439&nl=science-times&regi_id=74018794&segment_id=24153&te=1&user_id=a61bfa602a1dd7b19a21dad22e11decb

Note that the lead photo shows long-dead coral, not bleached coral (which
would be alive).  Could well have been killed by bleaching sometime in the
past.

Cheers, Doug