[Coral-List] More Info on Atoll Research Bulletin

Toscano, Marguerite TOSCANOM at si.edu
Fri Apr 17 13:59:36 UTC 2020

Hi Again Listers,

My previous message about ARB submission procedures resulted in a few questions about where to find previous issues.

The Smithsonian Libraries maintains an archive of ARB issues at https://repository.si.edu/handle/10088/4781 that go back to 1951 and up to 2013.

Issues back to 1952 can be found via the Biodiversity Heritage Library at https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/50708#/summary  These are scans, not digitally-produced copies.

Until recently the digital ARB (starting in 2013) was available on OpenSI, which has been phased out in favor of Figshare (https://smithsonian.figshare.com/ScholarlyPress).   According to the Director of SI Press, Ginger Minkiewicz, "Figshare is a discoverable platform that is already familiar to many in the scholarly community. Authors and readers can more easily engage with research products, including seeing number of downloads and views as well as social media activity via Altmetrics donuts on a publication’s landing page. Figshare also allows SISP to identify funders, automates assignment and minting of DOIs, and integrates with ORCID when an author has an ORCID iD."

If you are looking for the most recent issues, check https://smithsonian.figshare.com/ScholarlyPress where you can see the ARB back to 2013, along with all other SI publications. If you need the historical archive, start with the SI Libraries site.

At present there is no mechanism that would allow you to receive alerts of new issues. I can try to send messages to the list when there are new articles.

Lastly, I sincerely thank all who have agreed to review papers in the past.  The single greatest challenge with maintaining this valuable publication is obtaining peer review, so if I send you a review request, please seriously consider it or suggest an alternate reviewer.  This publication provides a platform for monographs and research that may not fit standard journals but that needs to be published to provide unique information on well-known and remote areas, covering all topics.   I hope there is sufficient interest among the tropical science community to maintain this publication long into the future.

Sincerely,
Maggie Toscano

Marguerite A. Toscano, PhD
Quaternary Marine Geoscientist/Research Associate
Editor, Atoll Research Bulletin
Smithsonian Institution; SERC
National Museum of Natural History, MRC 121
P. O. Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
toscanom at si.edu<mailto:toscanom at si.edu>
http://opensi.si.edu/index.php/smithsonian/catalog/series/ARB