[Coral-List] Fwd: first captive breeding of ridged cactus coral

sealab at earthlink.net sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 22 19:47:35 UTC 2020

Hi Vassil,

I read a number of press releases on this development and found that each contained overstatements, but that seems to be the trend these days. I’ve been trying to draw attention to this point for some time. The coral science community understands the limitations, but the public at large can easily be misled by such grandiose claims. I don’t blame those who have come to believe that we can save coral reefs without addressing climate change and other major stressors because that is how these many of these “advancements” have been framed. In my opinion, we have been led to believe that we can have our cake and eat it too.

Why worry about carbon emissions, water quality and over-fishing when we can bring the reefs back to their former glory through the wonders created by those involved in genetic engineering and out-planting?

Regards,

Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail