[Coral-List] first captive breeding of ridged cactus coral

Vassil Zlatarski vzlatarski at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 18:24:58 UTC 2020

Hello all,

The journalistic firework and the echo of contemporary trends provoked by
this article obviously deserve serious attention and will continue, though
permit me a quick researcher's question to Kery, hope also of interest of
some colleagues.

You mentioned "We have held all Mycetophyllia we have close together in a
recirculating aquarium system ..." and you have more than one species.
Since 1970s in this genus were established bimorphic colonies (coralla
showing in different parts characteristics of two described species) and
morphological bridges (series of coralla tracing gradual morphological
transition between two described species), which existence could be
interpreted as result of coral hybridization and chimerism (hope Buki is
around!).  How do you take care of this possibility?

The taxonomic surprises of Mycetophyllia were largely documented by
description of this genus' phenoide in "Los escleractinios de Cuba" (2018;
1980 in Russian; 1982 in French).  The described collection is preserved in
Acuario Nacional, Havana.  An extensive collection of bimorphic
Mycetophyllia was made in 1987 in STRI, Panama. The Spanish version of the
book could be requested at www.harteresearchinstitute.org .  I would be
glad to share more information about Mycetophyllia and send to interested
colleagues the book as pdf.

Best regards,

Vassil

Vassil Zlatarski
D.Sc. (Biology), Ph.D. (Geology)

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 10:35 AM Keri O'Neil via Coral-List <