[Coral-List] Passing of Jack Randall

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Wed Apr 29 15:10:04 UTC 2020

Hello Luis:

Thank you for sharing this sad news. I first met Jack back in 1964 when I was one of 6 students taking Peter Glynn's inaugural Marine Ecology course at the marine station in La Parguera, PR. Jack was on the staff there, and one of our instructors. I quickly fell in love with reef fishes (my first love before I became entranced with reef corals). Another one of the faculty was Dr. Luis Almodovar, a marine phycologist. I was assigned algae as my study group, which actually opened my eyes to the beauty of these important plants. My summer project melded my interest in both: feeding preferences of grazing fishes. I was just a freshman and had little science training, so I remember how crude my experiments were. But part of my project was to examine the gut contents of various species of herbivorous fishes. Jack and his field tech showed me how to use a Hawaiian spear, and Jack helped me learn to gut and examine the contents. I learned the hard way that he had developed a severe allergy to formalin from handling so many pickled fishes when I showed him a fresh sample (that I had already preserved with formalin), he reached into the jar to examine the sample and his fingers started to bleed!  I felt so bad!  Another memory from those days of a sampling approach that would not be allowed today, was to rotenone a whole patch reef to quantify fish diversity and biomass. Our class helped set the nets surrounding the reef, release the rotenone and the scoop up fishes to weigh and ID. This was the way that science advanced in the day, so younger folks reading this post please don't think badly about what was done back then. Without these small ecological sacrifices there wouldn't be books ID'ing common and rare fishes, and we would have no data on fish biomass.

Jack Randall was one of the greats in coral reef ecology and ichthyology. His work and impact will long outlast his mortal body!

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant, CEO
CISME Instruments LLC
210 Braxlo Lane,
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
cell: 910-200-3913
Website:  www.cisme-instruments.com

Videos:  CISME Promotional Video 5:43 min   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAYeR9qX71A&t=6s
CISME Short version Demo Video 3:00 min  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4SqS7yC08