[Coral-List] A Swim Through Time on Carysfort Reef; EFFORT TO ASSEMBLE A LIST OF REMAINING HEALTHY CARIBBEAN CORAL REEFS

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Sat Aug 1 12:51:18 UTC 2020

   Hi Steve.

   I dove on Carysfort in 1961, and the few hairs I have left are all
   off-white. Allow me to comment, because I am not prepared to absolve
   reef biologists from all blame. (I already wrote one paper on this, so
   I will be brief.)

   Surely the main point of Phil's video is that decline started early,
   far earlier than any significant climate excursions. As an example: in
   your paper, you mention "threats" to Florida's reefs, including cold
   water-which puts you in the amusing position of defending them at both
   ends of the thermometer. You do not mention nutrients or water quality,
   you do not cite Lapointe, but you do observe that the majority of your
   transplants kark in a few years.

   Fifty years ago, those pesky geologists showed us that bioerosion was
   far more important than grazing, yet most American reef biologists of
   following generations simply ignored the process. The evidence of
   impacts from land-based sources has been around since Columbus, who
   knew to approach coastlines along river mouths: yet we now have a
   generation or two of reef biologists who believe the reefs will come
   back if the grazers come back.

   Reef biologists never learned to speak with one voice. We have now been
   deprived of the results of the one experiment that would have been of
   the most use: what is the effect of climate change on healthy reefs?

   Mike