[Coral-List] A Swim Through Time on Carysfort Reef; EFFORT TO ASSEMBLE A LIST OF REMAINING HEALTHY CARIBBEAN CORAL REEFS

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 3 13:31:56 UTC 2020

Good morning, Phil and colleagues, whom I wish I could have seen at the
2020 July 14th ICRS!

Considering our illustrious Congress has to fight tooth-and-nail just to
approve of a package to save millions of people from dying of covid-19,
it's unfortunately unrealistic to think they could all suddenly "wake
up" and realize it's too late, or almost too late, to save our beautiful
coral reef ecosystems. (I love that statement:  "Coral Reefs are
ecosystems not resources.")  We can't seem to protect the bees or the
birds or the Amazon forest either.  It's like the whole planet is taking
all the other organisms that live on earth for granted, that they will
just keep on keeping on, while we struggle with politics and back rent
and late mortgages and unemployment.  One of these days The Life Switch
is going to be turned off, and very suddenly all our organisms won't
just be left in the dark, they'll be dead, including us.

     Jim